THC Medical Benefits
THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) has a wide variety of benefits and here are some that may help the medical issues you are seeking to help with.
- Pain relief from activation of pathways in central nervous system which work to block pain signals from being sent to the brain
- Temporary memory impairments help those suffering from PTSD symptoms like flashbacks and nightmares
- Helps alleviate nausea and vomiting, Marinol is a pill containing synthetic THC approved by the FDA for cancer patients and chemotherapy patients
- Stimulates appetite - synthetic THC pills have been prescribed to help cancer and HIV patients suffering from wasting syndrome
- Ability to improve breathing for those suffering from asthma (usually induced via vaporizer or edibles)
- Relieves eye pressure in those suffering from glaucoma
- Helps with falling asleep faster, and can improve nighttime breathing as well as reduce interruptions in sleep for those who suffer from sleep apnea
- Can help control epileptic seizures by binding to brain cells responsible for controlling excitability and regulating relaxation
- Can help reduce anxiety by improving mood and acting as a sedative in LOWER doses, however, higher doses can have the opposite effect
- Slows the progression of Alzheimer's disease by slowing the formation of amyloid plaques by blocking the enzyme in the brain that makes them
- Eases the pain of multiple sclerosis
- Treats inflammatory bowel disease through interaction with cells in body associated with gut function and immune responses
- Helps with metabolism by aiding body's response to sugars regardless of eating more calories from the munchies =)
- Soothes tremors for those suffering from Parkinson's disease
CBD Medical Benefits
CBD is a non-psychoactive compound and a main ingredient in cannabis that provides a wide range of medical benefits and actually can help reduce the "negative" effects of THC.
- Anti-emetic - Reduces nausea and vomiting
- Anticonvulsant - Suppresses seizure activity
- Anti-psychotic - Combats psychosis disorders
- Anti-inflammatory - Combats inflammatory disorders
- Anti-oxidant - Combats neurodegenerative disorders
- Anti-tumoral/Anti-cancer - Combats tumor and cancer cells
- Anxiolytic/Anti-depressant - Combats anxiety and depression disorders
Most research for the medical benefits of CBD has been done on animals, however, recently a pharmaceutical version of CBD were developed in the UK, and doctors are doing trials for the treatment of epilepsy and schizophrenia. The drug is called Epidiolex and it was also approved by US Food and Drug administration to trial on children with certain forms of epilepsy.
GW Pharmaceuticals makes another cannabis-based drug called Sativex, which has been approved in over 24 countries for treating multiple sclerosis.
Cannabis breeders are beginning to produce more strains that have high levels of CBD and practically zero THC (ACDC, Charlottes Web, etc..)
Non-psychoactive means CBD does not cause a "high" (does not interact with CB1 receptors responsible for effects of THC), which gives the compound an advantage as a medicine since professionals prefer treatments with less side effects
Product type Medical Benefits
Understanding the difference between indica, sativa, and hybrid is very important for those looking to optimize their benefits from cannabis. Finding strains/concentrates that are best suited for the effects you're seeking is hard when one is not educated on the different species and their unique characteristics.
- Short and bushy plants
- Shorter branches, wide and darker colored leaves
- Relaxing/sedative feeling
- Used to treat insomnia, chronic pain, muscle spasms, and nausea
- Ideal for evening/night time use
- Phystical "Body high" effect
- Helps relieve anxiety in moderate doses
- A natural sleep aid
- Relieves pain
Sativa strains are typically used to treat mental and behavioral disorders such as depression/ADHD or help those who suffer from anorexia or certain types of cancer that affect appetite.
- Tall and thin plants
- Long branches, narrow and lighter colored leaves
- Increase in alertness
- Ideal for day time use
- More sociable
- Enhance creativity
- Helps relieve depression
- Stimulates appetite
A strain that has both indica and sativa properties/effects (can be more indica than sativa and vice versa which is a certain dominance regarding effects)
Production Method information
Understanding the difference between Indoor, Greenhouse, and outdoor grow environments can help you make an educated decision as a consumer. Below breaks down the three different production methods to help you understand more about the flower that you are looking to medicate with.
- Maximum control over the environment
- Maximize number of harvests per year = available year round, typically quality drop during hotter times (summer) causing heat stress without good a/c and air flow
- Consistent climate and light delivery
- No outside air exchange required
- Typically the most potent
- Costs the most (quality and higher cost for grower)
- Don't flower as large as greenhouse or outdoor
- Typically strongest aroma and flavor due to more compounds of the strain profile
Greenhouse: (Light Deprivation)
- Uses sun as light
- Able to grow year round means more harvests than outdoor (can harvest during winter w/more climate control needs) and a well timed harvest when outdoor supply begins to run low during summer and fall seasons (multiple harvests per year)
- Climate and humidity affected by outside environment - climate control needs increase during summer and winter to maintain wanted temperatures which can affect the quality of finished product
- Typically more potent than outdoor, and less potent than indoor
- Priced between outdoor and indoor cannabis
- Noticeable step up in quality while still being more affordable than indoor*
- Typically not as large of buds as outdoor but noticeably larger than indoor
- Structural difference from indoor - less depth, not as many trichomes
- Some people will call greenhouse "Indoor" or "Top Shelf", but at Trichome, do not.
- Uses sun as light full-time
- Most susceptible to outside pests and other problems
- Less control over climate can create inferior product
- No cost for lights/climate control = most affordable flower especially fall season harvest time
- Typically least potent bud of the three production methods
- Typically largest buds due to outdoor plants growing the largest with the sun as its light source (some even growing up to 10 ft.+ using very large pots)
- Lowest cost due to high supply at the time of harvest and lowest overhead to produce
- Market info: cost of outdoor tends to rise the further from the fall harvest due to a large demand alongside lower and lower supply.
- Typically least amount of aroma/flavor due to less compounds of strain profile
* Some strains/genetics do better indoor than they do outdoor and vice versa.